Tuesday 18 December 2012

Along the coast to Dubrovnik!


Sept 27, 2012
We are still travelling the coast road to Dubrovnik. We had a twenty- minute break at a tourist stop just after crossing into Bosnia. They offered everything a traveller needs; gift shop, coffee shop, clean washrooms and for the driver, gas. I decided to have a coffee and watch the tourists. A sign said they would take, Croatian currency (KUNA), Euros and the Bosnian currency, Convertible Maris. A very pleasant surprise as last visit to one of these stops I was caught short, no Euros or Convertible Maris and they would not take Kuna. Things change and often for the better. 

 
In Trsteno about 24 kilometres (15 miles) north of Dubrovnik we passed a 500-year-old Asian plane tree, in what is said to be the oldest arboretum ( founded in the 15th century) in this part of the world. I didn’t have time for photos as we didn't stop but I add a mini memory to my journal as we passed.  That evening I googled this village and its’ trees to confirm what I had noted in my memories. It looked like a good place to have a stop on a future visit to Croatia. http://www.dubrovnik-guide.net/trsteno.htm
I am so amazed by the plane trees. I had painted them in the park in Zagreb.

At 12:15 PM we arrived at the city limits of Dubrovnik. Travelling with my paintbrush and sketchbook made this journey pass almost too quickly, but we had arrived at our destination and Dubrovnik was waiting!

We strolled to the old city, a short walk from our accommodation. Our itinerary had nothing planned for the rest of the day but in Dubrovnik you want to walk. So we did! 5:45 PM (because of my tired feet and the need to record a mini memory) found us enjoying a glass of wine in an outdoor café. A glass of wine was 35 HRK (Croatian Kuna) approx. $6.05 CAD. After some enjoyable people watching and mini memory time we left the main street to wander one of the back walkways. The old city of Dubrovnik is for walkers. Dinner was at ‘Mea Culpa’. http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/croatia/dubrovnik-and-southern-dalmatia/review-466537.html 
I shared a pizza with one of my group. We could have shared with two more to eat it all.  Italian food is very popular in Croatia. I believe it has to do with the proximity of Italy and the history that these two countries share.

Time to stop. Next Tuesday is Christmas. I will do my best to be here but will understand if you are too busy to join me. 
Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment