Tuesday 20 November 2012

Our trip on the Minnow...

On Sept. 24th 2012, Our day trip was to travel out of Brela Harbour to visit the islands. You can travel along the coast of Croatia from top to bottom by ferry, a great way experience the coastal islands of Croatia.  The ferrys stop at the islands you can't get off unless this is your destination but cars and people come and go at each port.  We did part of this trip on our last visit to Croatia when we travelled from Spit to Dubrovinik.  This year we decided to give a small boat out of Brela harbour a try. We just wanted to visit some of the islands and this is a good way to do it.  

Our boat was the 'Murter'. It arrived late as it had engine trouble. :(  The weather was looking a little iffy. We had been dealing with Bura winds for the past couple of days but the sun was up there in the sky so we boarded along with about 100 other people all ready for a great adventure. Lunch and wine was included in the price.  

We travelled to Jelsa on Hvar and Bol on Brac, both wonderful stops, full of history. I had a chance to capture a few of my minis, seen here. Our return to Brela was certainly an adventure. This is when we changed the name of our boat from the 'Murter' to 'The Minnow'. Depending on your age you will remember the tv program Giligan's Island.  At the time it was rather scary but now it is just an exciting memory. Our 'Minnow' made it back to port (even though the rough sea did not allow us to stop in Brela) safely and the captain arranged for a ride back to Brela for us by cab.  I wish I could have caught the swells and the sound of the passengers as each wave hit the side of the boat in my paintings but my little sketch book was hidden deep inside my waterproof jacket so I could share my trip on the Minnow. 


Let me know what you think? Please leave a comment. 

6 comments:

  1. Love the little travel sketches Nancy! Really makes the trip come to life. Looking forward to our Journey in France next fall!
    - Lin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lin, I am looking forward to "A Journey in Watercolour" Normandy, France. I know my memory paintings will find many opportunities to grow. More memories for me, more memories to share.
      Now to plan 2014 ...A Journey in Watercolour" ???? with Lin Souliere

      Delete
  2. Just love your watercolour sketches AND your new blog. What a fascinating way to showcase your travels, your artistry and your creativity. I look forward to your blog. It is such fun :)
    Hugs.
    Cath

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sis, I can always count on you to be my support! I am so pleased I have found a way to share my travels.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great way to travel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come back next Tuesday, thanks for taking the time to leave a comment

      Delete